Hope your new year is going well! January always seems like the time of year I just want to “make it through” because of frigid temps, short days, dead garden, etc. However, citrus season definitely makes me excited about life. Grapefruit is one of my favorite citrus fruits. When I was a kid, I remember squeezing the remaining juice of finished grapefruit halves into a cup, adding some orange juice and a bit of sugar, and enjoying my heavenly little drink. I based this vinaigrette on that memory (sans the sugar) and it drizzled it on a bed of red kale, shallots, almonds, and of course grapefruit. It’s a delicious, fresh pick me up for this time of year.
- 6-8 red kale leaves (or any kale variety)
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup of chopped almonds
- 1/2 shallot, sliced
- ~ 1/3 cup olive oil
- ~ 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/2 tbsp grapefruit zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8-10 mint leaves, minced (save a few for garnish)
- dash of salt and pepper
- Prep kale leaves by removing spines and finely chopping leaves. Combine with grapefruit segments, almonds, and shallot slices.
- Prep dressing by whisking together all dressing ingredients. Taste & adjust (I sometimes add more grapefruit juice or salt & pepper), then drizzle onto salad. Add a few mint leaves for garnish.