This dish was one I whipped up one night and really liked, but had no idea what amount of ingredients I used for the bowl or sauce; typical. I tried it a few more times and actually kept track of the measurements so I could share it with you.
Have you ever tried tempeh? It’s awesome. It originates in Indonesia and is made of fermented soybeans, or less commonly, chickpeas, beans, and/or grains. It has a subtle nutty taste, and is heartier than tofu. It’s really good at taking on the taste of what you marinade/cook it in since it’s porous. Also, it’s great for you being that it’s fermented (shout out to probiotics), and contains whole, barely processed soybeans. Just go for organic tempeh to be sure it contains non-GMO soybeans. That would be ideal, since soybeans are one of the top genetically modified crops in the world.
Give this spicy, citrusy tempeh bowl a shot, and use whatever grains and veggies you have on hand. Recipe serves two with some leftover. Double it if you’re cooking for 4-5.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth OR water
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 4 oz. block of tempeh, cut into 1/4 inch slices (I used Lightlife Organic 3 grain tempeh)
- 5 stems of broccolini, cut into segments
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- 4-5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 an onion, sliced
Orange Chili sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed juice from an orange
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil + 1 tbsp for skillet
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup or honey
- sprinkling of chili pepper flakes
- Marinate the tempeh in ~1/4 cup of orange juice and a bit of garlic chili sauce.
- Cook the rice: combine rice, broth or water, and evoo in a pot and bring to boil. Cover pot with lid and let simmer on low for 45 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let steam for 10 minutes. If rice is crunchy at this point, add 1-2 tbsp more of liquid and cook longer.
- After veggies are prepped, make the orange chili sauce by whisking together remaining ingredients in a bowl. Taste test and add more orange or chili sauce to your preference.
- Heat a large skillet and drizzle with 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Cook onions, carrots, and broccolini for a few minutes on medium. Add mushrooms and tempeh. Drizzle in remaining orange juice used for marinating, along with all of sauce. Cook tempeh for a few minutes on each side.
- Assemble bowl with rice and veggie/tempeh mixture. Squeeze in any juice left in the orange juice and top with chili pepper flakes for even more spice.