This is my one of my favorite spring salads to make when my garden greens are ready to harvest in the spring. It’s very basic and quick to prepare. A simple lemon & olive oil drizzle is all it needs for dressing. Often I like nuts or something with a crunch-factor in salads, but I omit that here so the tender garden greens can shine. Also, the soft boiled egg, chickpeas, and dried coppa is a delicious fatty and savory combo. When you pair it with earthy greens, parsley and lemon, it’s a really pleasing combination that you will want to come back to. Happy spring! Hope everyone is getting outdoors and enjoying the season.
And yes. It started raining right as I started shooting this outside.
Ingredients (Makes 2 salads)
- 6 cups of greens (arugula, mizuna, mesclun, field greens all work well)
- 4-5 parsley sprigs, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 10 oz chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 5-6 slices of coppa, sliced into strips (prosciutto works too)
- 2 eggs
- quarter of a lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- dash of salt & pepper
- While the parsley and rinsed greens are drying, soft boil the eggs. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil, then carefully set the eggs in the saucepan and lower the heat a bit so they’re cooking at a rapid simmer for 6 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water, and let cool for about 2-3 minutes. Peel shell and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss greens and parsley in about 1/4 cup olive oil and generous squeeze of lemon. Add chickpeas and coppa and give another quick toss.
- Serve salad up on plates or shallow bowls. Slice eggs in half and add to salad, along with a drizzle of the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, another lemon squeeze, and a dash of salt and pepper.