Get in the mode. THE BREAKFAST MODE. Christmas long weekend is approaching and it’s time to come together, get cozy, slow down, and have a hearty breakfast that’s packed with good stuff. Try an egg bake. This recipe is versatile…I just used what I had on hand. It turned out excellent and I will be making it again soon.
- 1 red potato
- 3 asparagus
- 5 crimini mushrooms
- 2-3 kale leaves
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 few rosemary sprigs for garnish
- salt & pepper
- bread for serving
- Heat oven to 425°. Prep potato, mushroom, asparagus, onion and bacon by chopping them into small chunks. Roughly chop the kale into small pieces as well.
- In a cast iron skillet (or regular skillet), salt & pepper the potatoes and cook on med/low until just about crispy. Remove from cast iron.
- Next, sauté bacon in cast iron on medium until cooked. Remove from cast iron, leaving a bit of bacon grease. Cut into smaller pieces once it’s cooled a bit.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, and sauté onions, asparagus, and garlic on medium for a few minutes, or until onions are transparent. Add mushrooms to cast iron, sprinkling with salt & pepper and stirring; letting sauté for several more minutes.
- Add the bacon and potatoes back to the mixture, along with the kale. Stir, allowing kale to break down and slightly wilt. Remove from heat and sprinkle in about 1/2 the feta.
- Create wells in the mixture to accommodate the eggs. Crack the eggs to fill the wells. Pour the cream in the mixture, and pop into the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- When you remove the egg bake from the oven, sprinkle the rest of the feta over the top as well as a few rosemary sprigs.
- Enjoy on bread or straight up on its own.