It’s the tail end of the blackberry season here in Oregon, so I’m trying to enjoy blackberries every way possible. Also, basil. Fresh, bright, and one of the things I have growing on my balcony, so convenient. Combine these two lovely ingredients into a gooey grilled cheese utilizing mild and nutty fontina; and you have something that hits the spot…especially for late summer!
Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches)
- 8 oz blackberries
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- 4 oz fontina cheese, sliced or shredded
- 4 slices of rustic bread like como, multigrain, or campagnolo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mash blackberries a bit with fork or mortar & pestle.
- Brush a bit of olive oil on the bottom of each bread slice, then set onto heated griddle or skillet. Place fontina on each slice and allow to melt for a few minutes.
- Spread a few spoonfuls on blackberries onto one slice of each sandwich, sprinkle on basil, then set the top slice onto the blackberry slice and press.
- Allow to grill for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and bread is golden.